Thursday, July 2, 2009

rain

The Northeast has been inundated with rain, i mean serious good old country rain.The sun has been rare,the days not very hot though very humid.The last time I remember this happening was 1988, then 45 straight days of 80+ temps, and high humidity.45 straight days...Being a Met fan is a particular form of cruelty in New York.It's like being the not as good looking near do well sibling.This has been another season of excruciating defeats, injuries, and fan ennui.There was a time when Met fans were acknowledged to be among the sharpest,most intelligent fans.This has past I think.Mostly staid crowds,who are content to cheer mightily when the Yengeez play at Bailout Field,otherwise, the din is a murmer.One of the concessionaires remarked on this to me"You know, if this game was up at Yankee stadium, they would be going nuts.Here, they're talking on their cell phones.What 's up?" I told him I had no idea,though I am starting to wonder if baseball itself is lost on a video as opposed to literary epoch. Could be, things change.

No comments: