Monday, November 9, 2009

dichotomy

I received two emails in my in box a few minutes ago. One was for homeless in america, the other for cashmere gifts for Christmas.Somehow,both sides pull at me.relentlessly.I guess the secular and the sacred are always, to use broad terms,in tensions{and if not they sure as hell better be,or the church is in worse trouble then I imagine}being decidedly lower middle class with a handicapped child doesn't leave a lot of room for excess cash, a term neither my wife nor I have used in 26 years.What I am saying is that it seems that the world is more and more divided between those who have no homes, and those who wear cashmere.The folks who parade around in WWJD buttons and shirts would be wise to remember , as for me, too, that Jesus was clearly and always associated with drunks, whores,thieves,murderers,philanderers extortionists and working people who stunk from a days labor, were coarse in manner and speech, and were the one that the Lord God PREFERRED over the rich, the bourgeois the faux intellectuals and the bankers and landlords.Homeless and cashmere...

No comments: