Friday, November 13, 2009

a theology of friendship

It is a formidable title for such a natural thing.I was struck,years ago, by a comment by a Dutch worker priest, Egide Van Broeckhoven,who said"My vocation is to teach men the mystical depths of friendship." I have held onto that quote,held it deep and close by,and have haltingly tried to live by it. A few years back, someone took offense at something that I did not say but was attributed to me.Either way, it caused a fissure that was unnecessary and caused great pain.I made a vow/promise that from then on I would only speak well of others, so that I would never again run the risk of misquote or be the cause of this kind of crap.Being a true friend is infinitely more difficult than being a buddy or a pal. I realize this sounds trite,however,the mystical depths of friendship means [to me] that we meet in the Lord, in that place which exists in the point vierge`,and THAT is what makes it special.Or maybe it is the example of Will D. Campbell ,when we believe what he said "We're all bastards, God just loves us anyway." Amen

No comments: